TMJ treatment options for Walnut Creek, CA area patients
Patients who have TMJ or temporomandibular joint disorder often deal with a significant amount of pain, discomfort, and complications. The TMJ is the joint that hinges the upper and lower jaw. Dr. Mark Wong of Walnut Creek, CA deals with many patients who have been diagnosed with TMJ or TMD (temporomandibular joint disorder) and can provide solutions.
What are signs of TMJ/TMD?
Some of the symptoms and problems associated with the temporomandibular joint include one or more of the following:
- Locking of the jaw in the open or closed positions
- Chronic headaches and/or migraines
- Stiffness in the neck and shoulders
- Pain that can radiate from the ears down to the shoulders
- Jaw tenderness
- Clicking/popping of the jaw joint when opening or closing the mouth, or when chewing foods
What are some treatment options for TMJ/TMD?
Below are just a few of the more common treatments that are often used to help patients deal with the problems associated with the temporomandibular joint, including chronic pain, and locking:
- Lifestyle changes (such as avoiding chewing gum or eating softer foods)
- Physical therapy of the jaw joint and muscles
- Over-the-counter pain medications for TMJ headache relief
- Bite adjustments with orthodontia
- Use of an oral appliance
In situations where severe TMJ/TMD cannot be controlled with the above methods, jaw surgery may be required. This is only performed when no other options can help, and patients are dealing with severe pain daily.
What type of treatment is right for me?
In some instances, patients will need to try a few different options until they find the solution that works best for them. There is no one size fits all choice, so it is up to the patient to correctly describe the severity of their symptoms and which methods are working to develop a long-term solution to control TMJ/TMD conditions.
Ready to learn more about temporomandibular joint disorder?
Dr. Mark Wong and his team in Walnut Creek, CA can assist with TMJ pain relief using effective TMJ therapy options. Call the office at (925) 678-5600 to schedule an appointment at 3075 Citrus Circle, Suite #204. We are open to new patients and families interested in comprehensive dental care in the community.